Chemo--AC Round 1 of 4

I have officially started my AC Treatments

On Friday, January 24, 2014, I had my first of four AC treatments.  I have been dreading the day I started AC as everyone warned me it would not be as easy as Taxol.  I had hopes I would be the exception to the rule; but I also had fears my luck was going to run out with this type of chemo.





My son, Scott, took me to my appointment.  As always, he's my rock who never lets me down.  When I arrived, I first met with my oncologist as I will do before each chemo appointment now.  AC is tougher on your so the doctor likes to see you before each treatment rather than once per month as it was with the Taxol.  While meeting with my doctor, she gave me two options for nausea control while receiving AC treatments.  One would include a steroid shot the day of treatment as well as each day after treatment for three or four days.  The other option would include an oral steroid at the time of infusion, begin taking Zyprexa at night the day after treatment and continue for four days as well as taking Compazine every 6 hours after treatment.  I chose the later choice as anyone who has read my blog knows, I hate the steroid shots.  Unfortunately, this choice may not have been the wisest of choices for me.  I have battled nausea and vomiting since I left the treatment facility.  

I was nervous at the time of treatment because I didn't know what to expect this time.  AC treatments are definitely a lot more involved than Taxol.  My IV didn't give me fits this week (thank goodness).  After getting settled in my treatment bed (yes, bed--and I didn't complain.  Since I didn't know what to expect, I figured a bed was a good idea), my nurse came in to explain my treatment process for the day.   AC stands for doxorubicin (Adriamycin), and cyclophosphamide (Cytoxan) with each letter being it's own drug.  The A (Adriamycin) is given via push injection into your IV by your chemo nurse, and it's red in color.  It's quite overwhelming to look at.  The C (Cytoxan) is given via an IV bag solution.  Below is a photo of the Adriamycin I took before my treatment began.  And for anyone wondering, yes, it makes your pee RED.  Thankfully, they warned me this would happen or there is a good chance I would have been scared to death when I saw red pee in the toilet.  





I had several pre-medications I had to take orally before my treatment began.  I have no idea what each of them did, but I know they all left me feeling a little strange.  While the Adriamycin was being pushed, the nurse kept asking me if my IV felt okay and checking my IV site.  This was to ensure my IV hadn't penetrated my vein allowing the chemo to enter my body outside the vein itself.  I could feel myself getting sleepy, and when I tried to carry on a conversation, I felt drunk.  As if I wasn't in control of the words coming out of my mouth.  

Finally, I was done, and it was time to head home.  While receiving Taxol treatments, I didn't understand why they made such a fuss about needing a driver and me not driving.  I always felt fine when I left. However, I now understand why.  This chemo leaves you feeling drunk, and there was no way I could have driven myself home.  Thankfully, I had Scottie there to drive me home (it's a two hour drive).  I think I might have slept most of the ride home because I don't remember much of it.  I immediately changed my clothes when I got home and planted myself on the couch.  It wasn't long before I was out and completely oblivious to the world around me.  I woke up to take my medications and that's about it.  I remember going to the kitchen to get myself water and something to eat, and I had to go back to the couch and lay down.  I was dizzy and my stomach was very upset.  I went to bed hoping sleep would be the cure.  I took a bowl to my bedroom with me just in case whatever was left in my stomach decided to make its way back out.

I awoke early Saturday morning feeling very sick.  I grabbed my bowl and headed for the bathroom.  After a few seconds, I began dry heaving followed by throwing up.  Since there was very little on my stomach (I had slept more than I had ate), not much came up; but enough was there to let me know this type of chemo wasn't going to be as easy as the Taxol had been.  After throwing up, I felt somewhat better.  I asked my husband to get me some chicken broth in hopes I could get some liquid on my stomach and the warm broth would help with another issue I was facing--constipation.  Sorry if you don't want to know about that; but I am trying to ensure I provide useful information to anyone else going through this nightmare.  So I'm putting it out there.  

I could tell by the way I felt one of my biggest issues was constipation.  I should have made sure that wasn't an issue before I even went for treatment, and I hadn't.  I was now paying the price.  I took 3 Fleet tablets in hopes they would work quickly.  As the day progressed, I felt worse, and the tablets hadn't changed a thing.  My stomach was hurting so badly I couldn't stand up straight to walk to the bathroom.  I sent my husband to the grocery store for some groceries, and I text him while he was there to pick up some lemon flavored Saline Laxative. Yeah, it's gross; but it works, and when you're desperate, you don't care!  I ended up having to drink the entire bottle before I got relief.  I highly recommend anyone going through AC treatment to stock up on this stuff.  It might save you!  

Eventually, I began feeling so sick I knew I was going to throw up again.  I headed for the bathroom and sat there melting through a hot flash, my stomach cramping, and fighting dry heaves.  Praying to God to help me find relief.  Finally, I began throwing up, which was a relief at this point.  I filled a large mixing bowl half way up.  Thankfully, it was mostly all liquid.  Then the relief came from the other direction as well--the saline solution had worked. Thank you Jolene for the awesome advice.  I wouldn't have known to get it without you!  I continued to feel sick as the night progressed, but not as bad as I had up until I threw up.  I gave up and went to bed at 8 p.m.

I awoke this morning feeling nauseous and sick; but tolerable.  Comparable to how you feel when you get car sick.  I've carried this feeling most all of today; but I will take this over being as sick as I was yesterday.  I called my doctor today to let her know I had thrown up as they want to know these things.  She is calling me in another prescription to take for nausea.  I'm to stop taking the Zyprexa as I can't seem to tolerate it.  I took it as instructed, and I'm certain it contributed to my being so sick!  On a final note, after this treatment, I am noticing I cannot taste certain foods, or things I loved no longer taste good.  For example, I always use the strawberry kiwi drink mix in my bottled water.  I can't stand the taste of it now.  I have found I can still drink Gatorade and the pink lemonade drink mixes though.  Hopefully, that doesn't change because it's the only way I can get enough liquids in my body!

In spite of all of this, I am thankful for a God who has watched over me and kept me so healthy.  As bad as things were yesterday, God heard my prayers and he did provide relief.  For that, I am thankful.  Before going to bed last night, I opened my Bible to a random place and began reading.  I opened it to Psalm 103.  I highly recommend this to anyone going through this ordeal as it brought tears to my eyes and made me realize that even in my weakest moments, my God is watching over me and wants me to have faith in him.


Psalm 103

Of David.

Praise the Lord, my soul;
    all my inmost being, praise his holy name.
Praise the Lord, my soul,
    and forget not all his benefits—
who forgives all your sins
    and heals all your diseases,
who redeems your life from the pit
    and crowns you with love and compassion,
who satisfies your desires with good things
    so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s.
The Lord works righteousness
    and justice for all the oppressed.
He made known his ways to Moses,
    his deeds to the people of Israel:
The Lord is compassionate and gracious,
    slow to anger, abounding in love.
He will not always accuse,
    nor will he harbor his anger forever;
10 he does not treat us as our sins deserve
    or repay us according to our iniquities.
11 For as high as the heavens are above the earth,
    so great is his love for those who fear him;
12 as far as the east is from the west,
    so far has he removed our transgressions from us.
13 As a father has compassion on his children,
    so the Lord has compassion on those who fear him;
14 for he knows how we are formed,
    he remembers that we are dust.
15 The life of mortals is like grass,
    they flourish like a flower of the field;
16 the wind blows over it and it is gone,
    and its place remembers it no more.
17 But from everlasting to everlasting
    the Lord’s love is with those who fear him,
    and his righteousness with their children’s children
18 with those who keep his covenant
    and remember to obey his precepts.
19 The Lord has established his throne in heaven,
    and his kingdom rules over all.
20 Praise the Lord, you his angels,
    you mighty ones who do his bidding,
    who obey his word.
21 Praise the Lord, all his heavenly hosts,
    you his servants who do his will.
22 Praise the Lord, all his works
    everywhere in his dominion.
Praise the Lord, my soul.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Lovely, reading this gave me flashbacks to last year. I can truly, truly empathise and am sending big comforting hugs your way. It's so hard when the chemo is trashing your whole digestive system amongst all the other nasty and annoying side effects that hit you. My taste buds started working normally again a few months after treatment finished and I can't tell you how awesome it was to really enjoy a meal again after 8 months of metallic blah. I really hope that each treatment becomes easier than the previous one. I started off spending weeks in hospital but by my 6th one I was able to just do the day in the chemo room and head home. It's a soul destroying process but I'm so glad you have family and faith to get you through. Much love xx Em

    ReplyDelete

Most Visited Posts