Genetic Testing Results

Since my diagnosis, there has been much talk about genetic testing and the relevance it has to breast cancer.  Many of you may remember several months ago when Angelina Jolie chose to have a bilateral mastectomy simply because she tested positive for the BRACA gene that is linked to breast cancer.  Her mother previously passed away from breast cancer, and she made the choice to have her breast tissue removed before a tumor could appear.  Yes, this is a radical decision, but one I fully understand.

I have a strong family history of cancer in my family.  Not just breast cancer, but cancer in general.  It ranges from Thyroid cancer, ovarian cancer, uterine cancer, lung cancer, breast cancer. lymphoma, and throat cancer.  And all this cancer is on my Mom's side of the family--the side I resemble.  My mom's sister, Florence, passed away in September just as I was diagnosed with breast cancer from a recurrence of breast cancer that had metastasized to her bones and through her body.  She had the exact same type of breast cancer as me.

Knowing all of this, genetic testing was an obvious choice for me.  I wanted to know if I carried the genetic mutation that increases your risks for breast cancer so my children could be more aware to ensure they received regular screenings and were more proactive than I have been.  Genetic testing searches for a genetic mutation within the body.  This genetic mutation allows damaged cells within the body to go "unnoticed" and your body does not repair them.  Everyone has damaged cells within their body.  The damaged cell either dies off or the body repairs it.  If an individual has a genetic mutation, they body "ignores" this damaged cell.  Rather than die off, it divides, then divides again, etc.  A cancerous tumor cell is simply a damaged cell that has divided out of control.

I had my genetic testing on February 2, 2014.  Since that time, I have been waiting to hear back from them on the results.  I received that phone call yesterday.  Unfortunately, the news was not good.  I do carry the BRACA1 gene.  While this explains why I got breast cancer in the first place, it was still absolutely devastated.  While I suspected I carried the gene, there was a part of me that hoped my results would be negative--for the sake of my children.  Because I carry the gene, my children are now at risk for carrying the same gene inherited from me.  Therefore, each of my children have to be tested as well.  I pray to God this gene was not passed to any of my children as if they are negative, they then cannot be concerned about passing it to their children, and so forth.

Upon receiving the news, I cried for several hours.  I had prayed many nights my children would be spared this fate; and finding out I carry the gene increases their risk of also someday dealing with this.  It breaks my heart to think of my children having to face this.  I've often prayed that God would let it end with me.  What this means for me is keeping my right breast is no longer even an option.  Carrying the BRACA1 gene puts me at high risk for a recurrence, and keeping my other breast would only increase that chance.   Ironically, my Surgical Oncologist and Reconstructive Physician just confirmed a plan only a week ago, so I imagine this will again change everything.

I feel like I keep receiving one bit of bad news after another lately.  I could really use some good news and a sound plan that doesn't keep changing.  At any rate, I'm trying very hard to have faith in God and believe that he will see me through as well as protect my children.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Visited Posts