Post-Opt Appointments & Cardiologist


Now that chemo is over, my life has begun revolving around doctor appointments for my upcoming surgery.  I tested positive for the BRCA1 gene, which means I carry a genetic mutation that caused me to get breast cancer.  This mutation means I'm missing 11 genes in my body that carry tumor suppressor proteins.  Because I carry this gene, I am at high risk to develop ovarian cancer as well.  So, when I'm done with my breast cancer battle, I will also have to have surgery to have my ovaries removed.  Since I tested positive for the gene, my chances of having a recurrence of breast cancer in my current non-breast cancer side (the right) are very high.  Therefore, I will be have a complete bilateral mastectomy (both sides) on April 10, 2014.  This is the best plan to try to prevent a future case of breast cancer. 
I expected to get a break from doctor appointments and running to Columbus so often after I completed chemo, but I believe I've actually had to make more trips.  I've had to have several tests preparing for my upcoming surgery to include a follow up MRI and Echocardiogram.  The MRI showed the tumor has shrunk from its original size of 8 cm to smaller than a pea.  The Echo showed some heart damage from the chemo.  I was told this was not of a huge concern as it was "minimal".  However, while at my pre-op appointment Wednesday, they were unable to get a normal EKG.  Since they could not obtain a normal EKG, I am required to see a cardiologist on April 4, 2014.  This is necessary because without the clearance of a cardiologist, the anesthesiologist can refuse to put me under on the day of my surgery since my echo showed known damage as well as multiple abnormal EKG's.  So, I'm praying for good results on the 4th and some healing to my heart (don't we all need that), so I can safely have my surgery.  
At my pre-op appointment, my surgical oncologist confirmed he would no longer need to take the large patch of skin at the top of my breast like he had first thought.  The MRI revealed the tumor was beneath breast tissue and my pectoral muscle rather than directly against my skin as he first thought.  A section of my pectoral muscle will need to be removed during surgery because of this.  A mesh material derived from human and animal materials will be used to patch up my pectoral muscle.  He confirmed both sides would be taken for surgery, and I was prepped on what to expect after surgery.  
My reconstructive surgeon confirmed he would place expanders in my breasts after my mastectomy was complete.  These will be filled as much as possible based on the amount of room left after the surgery and the incision across each of my breasts are closed.  I will return to his office after the second week to have them filled, and subsequently each week until we reach the appropriate size--about a month.  I then will have another surgery to exchange the expanders for the appropriate size implants.  My size will be based on how far he is able to expand me comfortably and safely during the one month period as we cannot take too long for expansion.  I must begin radiation, and I have to have the exchange surgery completed prior to radiation.  
As far as I know at this time, my plan for radiation is 6 weeks.  I will have radiation every day (Monday through Friday) during this 6 weeks in Columbus.  Obviously this will be an obscene amount of driving.  I am on a waiting list for a living area I can stay in during the week for treatments for this 6 weeks.  Once radiation is complete and provided there are no complications, I will then be done with my breast cancer "journey".  
One of my biggest fears is a recurrence within some other location in my body because I did have lymph node involvement.  Cancer was found in 5 out of 15 of my lymph nodes when my sentinal node biopsy was done.  This puts me at risk for future metastisized cancer if my lymph system spread the cancer cells anywhere else in my body before it was caught.  I pray daily it was caught and removed before it could be spread elsewhere.  My second biggest fear is having gone through this to only face it again one day.  However, my biggest fear of all is the chances my children have of carrying the BRCA1 gene since it's genetic.  They each face a 50% chance of having the gene.  My son, 22, and my oldest daughter, 19, were tested yesterday along with my sister to see if they carry the gene.  My 16 year old daughter cannot be tested until she is 18.  I pray my children and sisters are negative.  This is one journey I do not want company on.  I do not want to think about my children possibly having to face this as well.  
My surgery is quickly approaching.  It's only a week and 6 days away.  I'm getting pretty nervous about the surgery itself and just facing what's ahead of me.  I have a difficult time dealing with the unknown, so the closer it gets, the more nervous I get.  Say a little prayer for peace of mine as my surgery approaches.  

1 comment:

  1. There are some natural remedies that can be used in the prevention and eliminate diabetes totally. However, the single most important aspect of a diabetes control plan is adopting a wholesome life style Inner Peace, Nutritious and Healthy Diet, and Regular Physical Exercise. A state of inner peace and self-contentment is essential to enjoying a good physical health and over all well-being. The inner peace and self contentment is a just a state of mind.People with diabetes diseases often use complementary and alternative medicine. I diagnosed diabetes in 2013. Was at work feeling unusually tired and sleepy. I borrowed a glucometer from a co-worker and tested at 760. Went immediately to my doctor and he gave me prescription like: Insulin ,Sulfonamides, but I could not get the cure rather to reduce the pain and brink back the pain again. I found a woman testimony name Comfort online how Dr Akhigbe cure her HIV  and I also contacted the doctor and after I took his medication as instructed, I am now completely free from diabetes by doctor Akhigbe herbal medicine.So diabetes patients reading this testimony to contact his email     drrealakhigbe@gmail.com   or his Number   +2348142454860   He also use his herbal herbs to diseases like:SPIDER BITE, SCHIZOPHRENIA, LUPUS,EXTERNAL INFECTION, COMMON COLD, JOINT PAIN, BODY PAIN, EPILEPSY,STROKE,TUBERCULOSIS ,STOMACH DISEASE. ECZEMA, PROGERIA, EATING DISORDER, LOWER RESPIRATORY INFECTION, MALARIA, BACTERIA DIARRHEA, DENGUE FEVER, HERPATITIS A&B, RABIES DIABETICS,HERPES,HIV/AIDS, ;ALS,  CANCER , BREAST INFECTION, MENINGITIS,HEPATITIS A AND B, THYROID, ASTHMA, HEART DISEASE, CHRONIC DISEASE. AUTISM, NAUSEA VOMITING OR DIARRHEA,KIDNEY DISEASE, WEAK ERECTION. EYE TWITCHING PAINFUL OR IRREGULAR MENSTRUATION.Dr Akhigbe is a good man and he heal any body that come to him. here is email    drrealakhigbe@gmail.com    and his Number +2349010754824

    ReplyDelete

Most Visited Posts