Radiation--Week 3: August 4-8, 2014

Radiation--Week 3:  August 4-8, 2014

Treatment 9 of 34:  Monday, August 4, 2014
I walked into treatment this morning dreading starting another week of treatments.  Not because they are so horrible, but because I feel good on the weekends without that somewhat overwhelming tired feeling.  But, I showed up physically even though mentally I was anywhere but there.  Everything went well with nothing to report.  I failed to remember to take photos this evening.  By the time I get home from work, I'm pretty tired, and I find myself falling asleep before I can remember to do it.  However, I've yet to see one indication of something to document besides the slight redness the one day last week, which disappeared. 

Treatment 10 of 34:  Tuesday, August 5, 2014
Treatment was uneventful today.  This is becoming quite a routine.  A routine I don't like, but one I have to get through.  I've learned every single step of the radiation process.  Exactly where the machine will move, how long it will be in each stage, all the noises the machine makes, etc.  I am finding I feel more energetic in the mornings, but within a few hours of receiving radiation, the tired feeling hits me.  Unfortunately, I often begin getting my energy back around 11 p.m. when I should be falling asleep and could use that extreme tired feeling.  It's very difficult because the worst of the tired feeling hits me while I'm at work and cannot sleep.  By the time I'm home and can rest, I'm getting my second wind. 

I did take photos tonight although I see nothing indicating there is anything to document.  I sure hope this trend continues as I know how very fortunate I am.




Treatment 11 of 34:  Wednesday, August 6, 2014
You may have noticed that this week's update shows a total of 34 radiation treatments rather than 28 as I've listed before.  That's because I found out today I have to have 34 treatments.  I will get 28 radiation treatments to my entire breast area (which is what I'm doing now).  Then I get six more to my scar across my breast only.  This totals 34 treatments.  They do extra radiation to the scar because they have found if a recurrence happens, it's often in the scar area.  So, I'm not as far along in my treatment progress as I first thought I was, but I understand the logic.  I feel very good physically.  My skin isn't sore at all.  I continue to use the water-gel lotion.  I haven't had to change my daily habits at all due to treatments.  Yes, I am fighting extreme fatigue, but I'm pushing through it.  As I stated above, the tiredness hits me like a block wall about noon after treatments and sticks around until late evening when my energy level seems to go back up.  Unfortunately, this is keeping me from always resting well at night.  I look forward to the weekends when I don't get radiation so I am not fighting the tired feeling.  Yesterday at work, I was talking to one of my employees, whom I happen to be very close friends with as well, and he asked me how I was doing.  I told him I was doing okay--just a little tired.   He said "Teresa, I've known you forever, and I can tell by looking at you that you're tired.  In fact, you're so exhausted, you're about to cry".  He was exactly right.  First, it shocked me that we've worked together that long and he knows me that well, but secondly, I couldn't have said it better. The overwhelming, tired feeling was almost more than I could take in that moment.  I'm fighting so hard to keep up with my work schedule and my personal responsibilities, and many days I just look up and ask God how strong he thinks I am.  God clearly has more faith in me than I do myself because some days I am so tired, I could just drop to my knees and hope someone picks me up.  But, I will be thankful in spite of all of this and keep pressing forward. 

I saw my doctor today, and he reported my skin looked perfect, and I have no signs of radiation burns.  He said he's even shocked at how good my skin looks.  I got through chemo so much easier than most although it wasn't easy, and now radiation is going so well.  I take no credit for this.  I can only thank a loving and generous God who is clearly blessing me far more than I deserve. 





Treatment 12 of 34:  Thursday, August 7, 2014
Treatment occurred quickly today.  Or maybe I'm becoming numb to this routine?  Either way, I felt like I was walking out within seconds of walking in.  As I've reported before, my skin feels perfectly fine.  There is  no indication of radiation burns both visibly and what I feel.  I began feeling tired about 11 a.m. and that tired feeling stuck with me until about 7 or 8 pm.  Although I was tired when I got home from work, I cut the grass and used the weed eater.  Needless to say, if I hadn't been so tired when I got home from work, I would have been after that. 

The area beneath my radiated breast was slightly tender tonight.  I'm not sure if it was related to radiation or just my bra rubbing the wrong way.  I was relieved to get home and put a sports bra on. 

I have no photo for this particular treatment.


Treatment 13 of 34:  Friday, August 8, 2014
I was running a little behind for my treatment this morning as I had a hectic morning.  I pretty much jogged into the treatment facility, which is rare for me. I hate being late for things.  But, they started my treatment right away, so I was back on track within minutes.  I haven't been as tired today as I've been through the week.  I think I managed to fall asleep a little earlier last night than I have been, which I'm sure helped.  I'm still "tired", but that overwhelmingly exhausting feeling hasn't taken over today.  My radiated breast still feels soft and pliable.  My skin may be just barely pink today?  It's tough for me to tell, but if it's different, it's just barely. 

I had a dermatologist appointment today to have a full body check of moles.  They removed 4 moles to be sent for pathology report.  I am a former sun lover, so this didn't surprise me.  Only one of the four was concerning for him, so I will be anxiously awaiting the results on that.  The concerning mole was removed from my stomach. 

Below are my photos taken the evening of my 13th treatment.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Visited Posts