Radiation--Week 1: July 22-25, 2014

Radiation--Week 1

Treatment 1 of 28: July 22, 2014
I had my first radiation treatment on July 22, 2014.  I walked into the Cancer Center unsure of what to expect; but I put on my brave face and tried to keep it together.  I went by myself as I ran over while working.  I've depended on my children, family and friends so much over the past year that I felt this was something I could face alone.  After putting my gown on, I was sitting in the waiting area waiting to be called back.  I was so nervous my hands were shaking.  I tried to resist the urge to text someone for some encouraging words of support, but I lost the battle.  I sent out the desperate text of "I'm scared".  Thankfully, I immediately received an encouraging response reminding me this was a small step compared to the leaps I had already taken.  Such a small effort provided so much relief and calmed the feeling of fear threatening to take over.  A few seconds later, I was called back.

I was asked to lay flat on a table that looks just like an X-ray table.  There was a bar behind my head, and I had to reach above my head and hold this bar.  A circular machine was directly above me that moves left to right around me. The machine is lined up with the tattoo marks that were placed at my previous appointment.  After a few moments of getting me adjusted on the table, she placed what looked like x-ray plates to my right and stepped out of the room.  The machine began humming, and I just closed my eyes and tried to go to my happy place.  I was imagining the beach and the sun was shining on my skin.  I could almost hear the ocean.  My vivid imagination comes in handy from time to time!

As I lay there, I kept waiting to feel something; but I felt nothing.  It truly is like getting an x-ray.  After about 20 minutes, I was done.  I simply went back to work.  I had a major install happening on campus, and it was extremely hot and humid outside.  I had a busy day ahead of me.  After about 20 minutes, I felt slightly short of breath and jittery.  I wasn't sure if it was related to the radiation or the heat and how busy I was.  I spent the entire day on my feet and outside in the heat.  By the end of the day, I was pretty exhausted; but I feel I would have been regardless of the radiation.  I went home feeling pretty tired but hopeful a good night's rest would do the trick. 

The following photos show the area being radiated.  The top photo shows under my arm, which is being radiated due to the fact that I had lymph node involvement.  The scar under my arm is from the sentinel node biopsy that was done October 2013.  I had 15 lymph nodes removed at that time.  5 of the 15 were involved.  At the time of my mastectomy, another 15 lymph nodes were removed from under my arm, and 3 more were found to be involved.  Meaning a total of 8 out of 30 lymph nodes were involved.  The second photo shows the front/top of my left breast.  The radiation targets my breast itself as well as my chest wall and collar bone area.  The final photo shows the cooling gel and cream I use after each treatment. I apply the cooling gel directly after treatment as your skin can feel a little hot.  As if you have a sunburn.  I use the cream later in the day and again before bedtime on the entire radiated area.  This is made by Water-Gel Technologies.






Treatment 2 of 28: July 23, 2014
My treatment was the same as the day before except they added the use of a bolus pad.  This bolus pad feels like skin tissue or gel.  It covers my breast area and acts as tissue.  These are often used on mastectomy patients since we are lacking actual breast tissue.  It allows the radiation to penetrate deeper into the breast and provides a layer of skin/tissue I'm now missing.   I walked into the room knowing what to expect this time, so I felt much better than I had the day before.  Reaching above my head to hold the bar for 10-15 minutes isn't easy with the limited mobility I have in my left arm, but I've been doing physical therapy exercises regularly (walking my arm up the wall) to regain more mobility.  It is helping a lot as I've gained back about 60% of my mobility in just a few weeks.  I now notice when I don't do these exercises, I can feel the tendon tighten up under my arm and down the side of my breast.  It's a very tight feeling. 

After radiation was complete, I went back to work.  As before, I noticed a jittery feeling after leaving radiation.  It's comparable to the slight jitters you can get from drinking something with a lot of caffeine.  It lasts about 20 minutes then goes away.  Through the day, I could feel a slight tightening in my left breast.  Exercises didn't seem to help.  I wouldn't say it was painful, but it's more uncomfortable.  I was quite tired by the end of my work day, but I again attributed this to a very busy couple days at work.  I went to bed at 8 p.m. and slept 10.5 hours that evening.

The photos below show my skin after treatment 2. 



Treatment 3 of 28:  July 24, 2014
Once again, the treatment was exactly the same as treatment 2.  The bolus pad will be used for my first 14 treatments.   I walk in confidently now knowing exactly what to expect.  My total appointment time now only takes about 15 minutes.  I just run over from work (it's across the street) and go back to work as if I ran out to get some food!   

I had the tight feeling under my arm and across my breast again today as well as random pains within my breast area.  I'm not certain if this is related to the radiation or not.  My skin felt a little chaffed after today's treatment.  Mostly just under my arm where my arm rubs the edge of my tank top or bra.  The fold area beneath my breast was slightly tender as well.  I kept adjusting my bra through the day.  The jittery feeling was back shortly after treatment, so I have no doubt it's related to radiation.  I was a little tired at the end of the work day; but nothing like I had been the previous two days.  So far, I see no redness or sign of the "sunburn" look I'm told to expect.  I continue to use the cooling gel and lotion mentioned above.

The photos below show my skin/treatment area after treatment 3. 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Visited Posts