The News...


I turned 40 years old on August 30, 2013.  Only weeks later, I found out I had breast cancer.  Whoever said 40 is the new 30 is a liar.  I really do not like 40.......
I noticed a lump in my left breast in the 12 o'clock position in approximately May 2013. I have hormonal cyst and first thought it was that. I would get sharp pains that felt like stinging off and on. I had just had a breast implant revision, so I thought it was pangs from that. By mid July, the lump was becoming more obvious and hurting more often. I wasn't due for a mammogram until August, so I waited so my insurance would cover it.
When I had the mammogram done, she showed me the lump. It had none of the characteristics commonly seen with cancer, but a breast ultrasound was ordered. This too was not able to determine what the lump was, so my doctor ordered a MRI. I scheduled the MRI for the following week. The day of my MRI, the clinic called because my insurance had not yet approved the MRI. Therefore, I had to cancel to await pre certification, which I was told could take a month. My insurance ended up denying the MRI as "investigational". With no other options, I made an appointment with the surgeon who had did my implants. She got me in two days after my call.
Upon checking me, she immediately said "this has nothing to so with your implants and was not there in march". She made a few phone calls, and had me an appointment with Dr. Povoski at the Stefanie Speilman Center in Columbus, Ohio. I was to see him in 30 minutes. He reviewed my mammogram and ultrasound results I had brought with me and entered my room unimpressed. The lump just didn't appear too impressive on the scans, but one look was enough. I could see the surprise on his face when I lowered my robe. The lump was visibly obvious to the naked eye. A MRI was ordered and they assured me it would not be denied again. And it wasn't.
The MRI showed the lump but like the mammogram, did not have any characteristics of cancer. He simply could not say what it was. A biopsy was ordered. I read many opinions regarding if biopsies hurt. I could feel a lot even though I was numbed quite a bit.
My biopsy was Wednesday, September 25, 2013. On Friday, September 27, 2013, my doctor called me with the preliminary biopsy results. The results showed cancer cells, based on the small amount of native breast tissue I have, he was recommending chemotherapy and a mastectomy initially. He talked quite a bit, but I cannot remember very much past the word cancer. I was in shock. I thought I had prepared myself for the worst, but I didn't really think it would happen.
I met with my oncologist today, and I found out I have Invasive Ductal Carsinoma, triple negative breast cancer. I have a lymph node biopsy Thursday to determine if the cancer had spread to my lymph nodes. The MRI did not show it in my lymph nodes, and they are not swollen. I am praying it has not spread.
I am in shock and very scared. I begin my first chemo treatment October 11, 2013, and chemo is planned for six months. I just buried my mother's sister last week who had triple negative breast cancer four years ago, was a survivor, and it came back in her bones.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Visited Posts