Chemo--Dose 1/12 of Taxol


Chemo Dose 1--October 18, 2013 



I am receiving Taxol.  I had no idea what to expect when I arrived for my appointment.  I opted to not get a port until it became necessary.  I already feel like walking, talking cancer; and I simply feel like a port would be just one more reminder.  Upon arriving for my first appointment, I was taken to an area where they insert an IV and draw blood for labs.  They informed me they would be drawing blood each week before I was given my treatment to check my counts and see how my body is "keeping up".  My left arm cannot be used for blood pressure or an IV due to that side being used for the sentinal node biopsy.  This limits my IV options to my right arm only.  I've never had an issue with a lab not being able to insert an IV or draw labs, so I was optimistic I would be fine.  They had to stick me three times to get the IV started.  That's never happened before?  I honestly believe the girl who attempted it the first two times simply was not good at her job because the girl she brought in on the third try had no issue at all.  Anyway, my labs were all fine, and the IV was ready to go.
I was then taken over to the chemotherapy infusion area.  I was extremely nervous as I had no idea what was going to happen.  Was I going to have a reaction?  Would it immediately make me sick?  Would I feel funny?  How would it feel to have "poison" injected into my veins?  I was assigned a private chemotherapy suite complete with a comfortable recliner, TV, and chairs for my guests.  The nurse introduced herself as Abigail, and said she would be my nurse for each one of my treatments.  I found this to be a nice surprise as I would see a familiar face each week.  She took a lot of time to explain to me what I should expect, what side effects to watch for, and how to handle common issues.  She then explained that the first three chemo sessions, I would receive three pre-medications.  Benedryl to prevent an allergic reaction, Pepcid to prevent my body from blocking the chemo, and a large dose of steroids.  She was very good at slowly pushing the medications into my IV so as not to cause burning or discomfort.  The Benedryl made me feel slightly drowsy for about 15 minutes, but the Steroid shot soon took over and the foggy feeling went away. They waited 15 minutes after these were injected in my IV and then began the Taxol.  
I sat there nervously as it began to drip into my IV watching it enter my body thinking "what am I doing to myself"?  I kept waiting to "feel" it in my veins or to feel funny.  One would think if poison is entering your body, you would realize it.  But I honestly felt nothing.  It took about an hour for the full chemo treatment although I was at the doctor for about 5 hours total.  After the Taxol was complete, the IV was removed and I was free to go.  It seemed way too easy.  I was expecting some horrific experience; but it didn't seem any different than any other trip to the doctor for some medication.  I told myself not to get too excited that I had read often the side effects took a few days.  I felt fine all day; but I did develop diarrhea that evening three times.  I also noticed my scalp felt very sensitive, and my face was flushed.  As if I had a sunburn.  Other than that, I felt fine.  I did feel fully of energy and if not for my Ambien, I do not think I would have slept any that night thanks to the steroid injection.  
I awoke Saturday morning expecting to feel "bad", but I actually felt great.  Honestly, better than I had in quite a while.  I thought to myself "shouldn't I be feeling sick or something and why do I feel so good"?  I said a small prayer of thanks to God for allowing me to feel so good, and didn't question it anymore.  A Cancer Walk was scheduled in town on the public walking path for me to raise money to help me with expenses.  Within a week of my sister planning it, it had evolved into an awareness walk complete with the local cancer society on site distributing information about breast cancer and ways women can get free screenings.  I walked the entire 5 miles of the path, and felt perfectly fine.  I've been an avid runner for years, and it felt good to be on "my" path.  Ironically, I ran the 5K in the Susan G. Koman Race for the Cure in Columbus, Ohio the summer before I got sick.  I would have never guessed I would be one of those women the following year.  
Sunday morning, I went to church with my family.  After service, we went out to eat, and my stomach began cramping while eating.  After I got home, I had diarrhea a few times again, but that was it.  After speaking to my sister, I don't even think the diarrhea was related to my chemo.  A stomach bug had went through her house as well with diarrhea.  I thought to myself "is it possible I had no side effects"? Besides my scalp feeling like it had a sunburn and my hair hurt (if that makes sense), I felt perfectly normal.
I have an office job Monday-Friday 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.  I worked Monday - Thursday and felt fine all week!

Go to THE ONE STOP CANCER SHOP to shop for breast cancer products and useful information. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Visited Posts