Chemo Dose 2/12--Taxol



Chemo Dose 2--October 25, 2013


I had my second dose of Taxol yesterday.  I bounced into the office much more confident than the week before after having such a good week.  This week, I was instructed to enter the infusion center directly.  I was taken to my chemo suite, and the IV was placed right there.  This was much easier than the week before having to go to two different places.  And Abigail, my nurse did the IV, and she was MUCH better at it--it didn't even hurt.  They drew blood from my IV for labs and brought me some snacks while the labs were ran.  My labs came back fine, so they proceeded with my pre-chemo drugs (Benedryl, Pepcid, and Steroids).  Next week will be my last week having to get those--thanks goodness.  They seem to give me more of a reaction than the chemo itself.
The Taxol was then started.  I happily chatted with my daughter while poison once again pumped into my veins.  Cancer killing poison, but poison none the less.  I had a check-up with my doctor on Wednesday, October 23, 2013.  He checked the tumor, and much to my surprise, he asked me if it seemed smaller to me.  I said 'yes, but I thought I was imagining things.  I thought sure there was no way it had gotten smaller after only one treatment".  He said "no, it's definitely smaller and softer.  You're responding well to the treatment".  So while I hated the Taxol, I loved it as well.  
After an hour, my treatment was done, and I was set free.  I was at my appointment for only two hours this week.  Hey, maybe this won't be so bad after all?  Up until now, my appointments have been long and drawn out; and up to 3 a week.  I'm down to simply my weekly treatments and 2 hours each time.  I can handle that!
That evening, I was once again full of energy.  I went to my friend's house and visited with her and her cousin.  We ended up going to BW3's for dinner, and I had a great time laughing with friends and forgetting about cancer for an evening.  I felt like my old self for the first time since I had found out.  Granted, I didn't enjoy a cocktail with my friends, but I was okay with that.  I was perfectly happy with several glasses of water and food!  Surprisingly, my appetite has been normal, and I've continued to eat like I always have.  I've always drank a lot of water, so that's easy for me to keep up with!  Once again, I wouldn't have slept Friday night if not for Ambien.  As much as I like the extra energy, I don't like the amped up feeling that keeps me from falling asleep normally.  

Before going to BW3's, we thought it would be a good idea to give out beloved dogs boobs in honor of breast cancer awareness.  Like I said, I was full of energy!

I awoke Saturday morning feeling fine.  I half expected to feel sick since this was my second treatment; but other than my scalp tingling and burning, I felt fine.  I continued with things around the house like I normally would, running errands for my kids, and evening visiting a friend.  I sit here typing this, and I pray to God my good fortune continues, and I continue to tolerate the Taxol this well.  It's so unfair that women get breast cancer in the first place; and it's even more unfair that the medication that makes us well can also make us very sick.  It makes me wonder why the side effects vary so drastically from person to person when it's the same type of chemo and dosage?   Don't get me wrong--I do not want to be sick!  My scalp continues to burn.  It's been 8 days since my first treatment so I am guessing I will begin to see my hair fall out soon.  This constant burning on my head has to mean something.  It's as if can feel each individual hair follicle in my head; and they hurt. I constantly check my hair--tugging on random places to see if anything comes out.  I hold my breath after a shower when I comb it.  I know it's coming, but it's still going to be a shock.  I had long hair; and I had it cut short two weeks ago to make it falling out easier to take; but I know it's still going to be hard.  

My hair before I had to cut it off preparing for Chemo, and my hair after I had it all cut off!


Go to THE ONE STOP CANCER SHOP to shop for breast cancer products and useful information. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Visited Posts